.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Volunteers of America

Yes, I understand the "Youth vote" for Lord Obama.

Back in the day when I was 18 (still couldn't vote) and Viet Nam consumed the news, I was still a degenerate non-liberal. Oh, I was against the War, but only because it seemed we weren't fighting it to win. Had we turned the jungle to glass with nuclear warheads, I would have danced in the street...probably.

But even so, I was in college and there were lots of hippie chicks protesting the war, along with guys I would have rather fought with, yet I looked exactly like them-long hair, beard, jeans. Hey I was a baby boomer and this was our time.

I never protested the military and did fight with those who said shit in my presence. BUT...there I was at the war protests on campus, usually with my hippie chick at the time.

You see, being young is being arrogant about most things, and we boomers were about as arrogant as youth can get. So I understand the young true believers who flocked to Lord Obama. (Okay, I understand them better now that I've been re-educated, thanks to Lord Obama, peace be unto Him!

So, anyway, there's a song from my past that I heard a lot then that would stand up well today for the new crop of young true believers: "Volunteers" by Jefferson Airplane.
Look whats happening out in the streets
Got a revolution got to revolution
Hey Im dancing down the streets
Got a revolution got to revolution
Aint it amazing all the people I meet
Got a revolution got to revolution
One generation got old
One generation got soul
This generation got no destination to hold
Pick up the cry
Hey now its time for you and me
Got a revolution got to revolution
Come on now were marching to the sea
Got a revolution got to revolution
Who will take it from you
We will and who are we
We are volunteers of america
Ah, good times!

I envy them their excitement for working for the coming of the Messiah.

My life for Him!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post and blog. Relevantly, many prominent experts and publications have pointed out that Obama is part of Generation Jones, born 1954-1965, between the Boomers and GenXers.
You may find this page interesting: it has, among other things, excerpts from publications like Newsweek and the New York Times, and videos with over 25 top pundits, all talking specifically about Obama’s identity as a GenJoneser:
http://www.generationjones.com/2008election.html

11/09/2008 10:53 AM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Thanks for the info, society watcher. I'll check it out.

I do know that the members of each generation are not alike. I'm a boomer, but there was and is tremendous differences between us. Strong liberals and conservatives are boomers. For example, I'm southern, but despised Carter and Clinton.

Since Palin is also a Joneser, that gives me greater hope for that generation.

11/09/2008 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home