.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

The return of the 'Cut and Runners'

"Too Cool for the Room"

That's the title for a piece by Chris Stigall for The American Thinker.

It's about this election year's crop of "cut and run conservatives." You remember that group, don't you?

They were the ones who told you that it was better to lose the 2006 congressional elections so that "true" conservatives would come storming back in 2008 after the American people tired of Dem rule. And they were wrong, of course. America is worse off, and the conservative ranks are being further reduced. Good plan, guys!

Well, some of the conservatives mentioned in this article are well on the way to establishing a new chapter of the the "cut and runners" by trashing we small-town, bitter clinger conservatives.

It is nothing short of stunning this election year to read and listen to some of our most noted national conservatives demonstrate no practical understanding of conservative America. It would serve Peggy Noonan, Charles Krauthammer, Fred Barnes, Kathleen Parker, and Bill Kristol well to shirk cocktail parties and mid-town lunches with the broadcast and publishing hierarchy in Manhattan and D.C. and travel like a presidential candidate for a time. Potluck dinners, small-town festivals, state fairs, church picnics and bowling alleys would be great places to start. Shake some hands. Converse with people. Were they to dare attempt such a journey, it is without question our conservative "All Stars" would find far more Sarah Palins and far fewer Peggy Noonans. A fact, one might suspect, embarrasses them to their core.

Frankly, Peggy Noonan is a squishy conservative. I've long admired her writing and respect her brand of social conservatism. But I never thought she would be any good in a real fight. She proved that when she went to work with the Bush administration and left when she obviously felt her brilliant advice was not sufficiently heeded. I will not follow any advice from someone who gets her feelings hurt and then bitches thereafter even when it damages her movement.

As for the others, well that is for another blog post at a later date.

As for me, McCain was not my first choice for Republican candidate, nor my second choice. He was tied (maybe) for third choice. But there is no doubt of who I will be voting for in November.

And McCain's choice for Vice President was, I thought, a very good one for the base....you know, conservatives. She was not my first choice (or 12th choice, for that matter). But...Palin lives social and fiscal conservative ideals and is obviously a quick learner and a scrapper. She is not a squish like Noonan. And she also shored up some of us who had deep doubts about how much to trust McCain's attempts at conservatism.

As for the new "cut and runners" I agree with Stigall:

Ms. Noonan and company have been making the rounds for weeks now asserting Governor Palin remains an affront to conservatives' intelligence. In truth, it is Ms. Noonan and her weak-kneed colleagues carrying that banner. It is not enough for them to simply join ranks of Obama's flock and sing his praises to Pennsylvania Ave. There is no intellectual heft to be found in that. To their liberal colleagues and friends, it is considered brave and intellectually honest of them to pile on Governor Palin instead. Simply, it is cool to kick conservatives this year. Cooler still? A known conservative kicking another conservative. Now that's the pinnacle of cool.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's time for a new party. Republican politicians aren't really conservative and don't have the courage to fight for their beliefs. They accuse the Democrats of cutting and running overseas while they employ the exact same strategy at home.

10/19/2008 1:47 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Thanks for the comments, antimedia. Great to hear from you again. (btw-I'm keeping your link up just in case you activate it again.

A new party? Probably a good idea. Problem is that takes a long time and will give Dems free rein for a very long time. But something does need to be done. Lately, I've been much more understanding of the French revolution. Sometimes dramatic action is appropriate when the elites are so separated from the masses.

10/19/2008 2:50 PM  
Blogger Pat Austin Becker said...

I agree with you on Noonan. I have loved her writing since her first book about Reagan (which I recently re-read!). She's really let me down lately with her commentary about Palin.

I wish I could find one Obama supporter that could actually explain to me why they are willing to turn our country over to this man who has accomplished nothing but a successful campaign and who seems to have so much to hide. Why won't he release any of his writings or work from Columbia or Harvard? All they can tell me in response is that we need change. They are more convinced by what he SAYS he can do rather than by anything he has already done.

For the first time since the Carter election I'm terrified for my country!

10/25/2008 9:16 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

I hear you, Pat. I too well remember the Carter years. And not fondly. I know how bad things can get when you put an empty suit in charges of anything. And Carter was, and is, the worst. For now! At least when Carter was president, there were still some patriotic and conservative (0r at least pragmatic) Democrats around. Not so anymore. (I don't count Blue Dog Dems-they turn Yellow too quickly.)

I know it seems that every election is critically important to our nation, but it really is true this time. (btw-I really like your blog-I'll be returning.)

10/26/2008 8:01 AM  
Blogger Pat Austin Becker said...

Thanks! I like yours too and will bookmark it to mine! I know Florida is such a battleground state; I hope you'll let me know if there's anything you see that I or my other blogger friends can do to help swing it our way!

I LOVE the Krauthammer endorsement and I think Bill Kristol is on the money too with his McCain Against the Juggernaut column. I just wish more people were listening.

And by the way, I LOVE Florida. I've been lots of places there but loved Sandestin when i last went about 15 years ago; my favorite place is probably Tarpon Springs. I was ready to pull up roots and move there.

10/26/2008 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home