.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Billy Graham and Bill Clinton-Evangelists?

So Billy Graham thinks Bill Clinton should be an evangelist, while Hillary takes care of the country? I know, it's easy to just say that Graham is an old fool, long past his prime and out of his senses. Well, that's how I feel anyway. But a quick search of the web clarified some previous comments ol' Christian forgiveness himself said about ol' BJ Billy. Just a couple ripped off another website:

Mr. Evangelical, Billy Graham, who is a great respecter of persons, said about Bill Clinton, an enemy of the cross of Christ: "I forgive him . . . because I know the frailty of human nature, and especially a strong, vigorous young man like he is. "He has such a tremendous personality that I think the ladies just go wild over him." In other words it was the fault of the victims not the victimizer?

"President Bill Clinton would make a great evangelist, the Rev. Billy Graham told U.S. News & World Report in a recent interview. Graham said he was impressed with Clinton's charisma and 'with some of the things he believes. From a biblical point of view, we should be headed in the direction of goodness and righteousness, away from crime and immorality,' Graham said, 'and towards one's neighbors who are in need. I'm encouraged by the emphasis President Clinton and Hillary are putting on that.'"The Houston Chronicle, 1993.

"We spent much of the afternoon together, talking about the past and current events, and also about the Bible and what it says about God's plan for our lives. It was a time of warm fellowship with a man who has not always won approval from his fellow Christians but who has in his heart a desire to serve God. (From Just As I Am by Billy Graham Evangelistic Association; HarperCollins Publishers:NY; 1997; chapter reprinted in the U.S.News & World Report; May 5, 1997; pp.64,70)

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of evangelist Billy Graham was during his younger days. Maybe he had a little zipper problem himself, which of course was the fault of women. (Damn the daughters of Eve, eh?) What is it about some Christian preachers and sex scandals anyway? Take the race hater, Jesse Jackson, who had at least one love child. Of course, everyone remembers Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker.

Don't get me wrong. Graham may be a good man, and as a man he has made mistakes. That's okay. As I understand Christianity, forgiveness is expected when mistakes are acknowledged and forgiveness asked for. But a particular blot on his record will always be his "forgiveness" and explanations for Bill Clinton's scandals. But then, I'm a Bill Clinton hater.

UPDATE: See followup posting on July 23rd.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ma Tiny said...

if i understand you correctly to be a christian, you're not supposed to hate anyone, especially not people like the clintons, who spend 99% of their time working really hard to help other people.

that's a lot of what draws in the ladies. if you're a little jealous, you should try to be more like "bj billy," not less.

7/01/2005 12:23 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Well, thanks for your comments. As I think I've made clear, I'm not a Christian. So I guess that allows me to hate anyone I choose, eh?

Elsewhere in my blog I think I am frank in stating that I've been a piece of crap in my life. Maybe even as of today. That's why I know BJ is a slime ball who is only in it for himself. We're simpatico.

But you could have a point about me being jealous. Hmm, I think I'll cheat on my wife, have sex with a subordinate and make sure I pull in my friends and family into the hell I created. Then I guess I have more of your respect, especially if I then say that I'll take someone else's money and give to the poor and downtrodden.

And don't forget that BJ (and Hill) are avowed Christians and that BJ had just been to Easter services just before he availed himself of Monica's services. This should meant something even to a Clinton apologist.

But maybe I misunderstand you. Remember, I'm speaking as a Clinton hater.

7/02/2005 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home