.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Senators Graham and DeWine Cut A Deal....but for whom?

Patterico's Pontifications (above link) has an interesting take on the filibuster deal by the 14 "moderates," particularly DeWine and Graham. Patterico reported that "Fox News is reporting tonight that Sen. Graham and Sen. DeWine signed on to the [filibuster] deal at the explicit request of the White House, which wasn't sure that Arlen Specter would vote for the nuclear option if push came to shove." He then opined that "If this is true, it is yet another miscalculation by the Bush Administration. The GOP should have forced Specter to vote. Had he voted the wrong way, that would have been his last day as Judiciary Committee Chairman. He wouldn't dare."

I don't think that the White House was involved, but frankly I'm concerned. That would have been a miscalculation and a needless fumble. The nuclear trigger should have been pulled, regardless of the consequences. Sometimes you just have to do what's right. If anything it would have been Senator Frist's doing. I have my doubts about Frist's leadership abilities, but not his honesty. But I do wish Bush would do more to advance portions of his agenda and nominees, especially Bolton. And some mavericks should be punished. This particularly includes Specter, who never should have been made Chair. So many conservative Republicans badly misjudged his character. He appears more comfortable with most Democrats than with conservative members of his own party. And that was before his cancer.

As for DeWine and Graham, my problem is with their explanations expressed when the deal was cut. They seemed too self serving then, and even more so now. So for now, I'll continue to make them the scoundrels and hope I don't have to eat my words later.

(Sigh) There have been times in my life when I thought I would make a good politician. I was very, shall we say, nuanced in my opinions and flexible in my positions. But I now realize I would be lousy at it.

I also want to recommend another blog, Media Lies (http://www.antimedia.us/posts/1117258151.shtml), who has excellent points on this topic. I intend to re-visit the site in the days ahead. Which brings me to a problem with reading some blogs; they can make your efforts seem inadequate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home