.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Friday, November 28, 2008

It's time for thanks.

So screw politics. Time enough for that later.

I have a lot to be thankful for, and I am, but I won't bore you with it right now.

But I did have a great Thanksgiving Day. It was just Mrs. Right and me, as usual and just as the way we like it. Then we got up at 4 am for Black Friday because, well hell, I forget why? Do remember buying lots of stuff.

After a few hours we returned. I gave serious thought about taking a long nap, but remembered I had some work to do. And now I'm sitting at my computer working on a couple of projects. You see, I didn't have to go to work today....but I did have to get some work done. See the difference? Me neither.

How about some music? Anyway, started playing some old songs that have been helping me keep it together today and I thought..what the hell...I'll share with you.

Got some songs from the 1960s when there was lots of different music on AM radio. Why? Only a few rock stations around. Well, I remember WQAM in Miami that programmed some terrific music. Here's some of the songs I heard back in the day, courtesy of YouTube:

Needles and Pins by The Searchers

Neon Rainbow by The Boxtops

Sunshine of Your Love by The Cream (and they were too)

Soul Deep also by The Boxtops (an underrated group that I listened to a lot)

Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones

We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet by the Blues Magoos

Time Has Come Today
by the Chambers Brothers

Who'll Stop the Rain? by Creedence Clearwater Revival

Paranoid by Black Sabbath

Yep, we old boomers could rock back then. You know, when the dinosaurs roamed.

*****************

For the hell of it, how about some music from the 1980s...there actually was some good stuff then.

Remember when MTV used to have, you know, actual music? Think very hard. Well, here's a couple of very different songs with the same title that showcased some of the best of 80s rock:

Midnight Blue by Melissa Manchester (actually from the 70s but also had success in 80s)

followed by

Midnight Blue by Lou Gramm

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat Austin Becker said...

"You see, I didn't have to go to work today....but I did have to get some work done. See the difference? Me neither."

I'm right there with ya! I've been muddling through stacks of student research papers. Painful stuff. My goal was to have them all done this week, ready for Monday. I've graded 15 and have about 55 more to go. Not such fabulous progress.

Love your playlist! Cream ROCKED. I'm a diehard Clapton fan. Can do without the Melissa Manchester though.

11/28/2008 5:12 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

I hear you, Pat. I read your blog and saw how busy you are too. It's Saturday morning and I'm back at it. Should be completed by noon then the rest of the weekend is my own.

The Cream period was a great time for music. And I sorta agree about Manchester. The only song I cared about is Midnight Blue, which came at a point in my life that it became special.

Good luck with your project and rest of the weekend.

11/29/2008 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home