.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

This is too sad (Update)

In a previous post, I mentioned a news story that stated "A 3-year-old playing at his home Friday afternoon chased a soccer ball into the street where he was struck and killed by a car. Friday was his birthday."

I was incredibly sad when I read that, and just wanted to say so. However, in response to a reader's comment, I asserted that the child, Ethan Skye Cook, was unattended when the accident happened. What I said was "The unattended child ran into the road. I would probably be critical of inattentive parents, but this story just made me sad, including for the parents, rather than my usual self-righteous state."

Well, I received a comment on the 7th from someone claiming to be Ethan's mother, who said:

The child was not unattended. I was blowing the leaves off the front porch in preparation for his birthday party the next day. The lady who hit him held the phone while I gave him CPR while waiting for help. We are sad, but still living.

I choose to believe this is in fact Ethan's mother and I wish to publish her comment. Perhaps because what I said was inappropriate and because I had nothing but my own smug assumption to go on.

I feel the need to apologize publicly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM ETHAN'S GRANDMOM AND IT HAS TAKEN 5 MONTHS TO EVEN TALK ABOUT THIS,THANKSGIVING WAS DOUBLE HARD . COMPASSIONATE FRIENDS NETWORK HELPS.

12/02/2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

I really do feel your pain. I hope you and your family continue to receive the support you need, especially during the Christmas season.

12/16/2007 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home