.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

This is too sad

OCALA - A 3-year-old playing at his home Friday afternoon chased a soccer ball into the street where he was struck and killed by a car. Friday was his birthday.

Rescue workers performed CPR on Ethan Skye Cook, of 5048 N.E. Seventh Place, after the 5 p.m. accident, but he died shortly after being taken to Munroe Regional Medical Center, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Sometimes you can get so wrapped up in life's crap that you can't see what is really important. The death of a child can put your own 'problems' in perspective.

UPDATE (9/11/07)
A reader identified as Ethan's mother left the following comment on September 7th.

"The child was not unattended. I was blowing the leaves off the front porch in preparation for his birthday party the next day. The lady who hit him held the phone while I gave him CPR while waiting for help. We are sad, but still living."

Ma'am, I know I'm too often self-righteous. I want you know that I think I can feel a small bit of the pain and sadness of your loss. I know it must be too terrible. And I know tragedy can strike so quickly that it can't be prepared for.

I offer my sincere condolences.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is sad...a lot of kids are being hit by family members backing their own cars out of the driveway....vehicles are becoming so large that the blind spots are becoming impossible to navigate...my understanding is that back up sensors and cameras will be installed to help assist the driver to see what is behind the car.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to make cars a bit smaller?

7/21/2007 11:17 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

That wouldn't have helped here, Sunny. The unattended child ran into the road. I would probably be critical of inattentive parents, but this story just made me sad, including for the parents, rather than my usual self-righteous state.

7/22/2007 8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The child was not unattended. I was blowing the leaves off the front porch in preparation for his birthday party the next day. The lady who hit him held the phone while I gave him CPR while waiting for help. We are sad, but still living.

9/07/2007 12:37 AM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Ma'am, I know I'm too often self-righteous. I want you know that I think I can feel a small bit of the pain and sadness of your loss. I know it must be too terrible. And I know tragedy can strike so quickly that it can't be prepared for.

I offer my sincere condolences.

9/11/2007 8:16 PM  
Blogger G Michael Robinson said...

As a deputy sheriff, I was the first emergency responder on the scene of this accident. Tomorrow is the one year anniversary. I'm sorry I missed an earlier opportunity to defend Ethan's mother, Cathi, when she responded to an earlier comment from someone about her leaving her child unattended. I never saw a more compassionate response from someone whose child was killed than I did when I saw Cathi walk up to the distraught driver and embrace her. She is my hero and her response was a source of strength for me. She has since granted me permission to share our story. I've seen how lives have been changed by it.

http://www.myhero.com/myhero/heroprint.asp?hero=C_Cook_2008_ul

G Michael Robinson

7/19/2008 12:09 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Thanks for your comment, Michael. I made it a subject of a separate post on 7/31/08. I've gone to the website. Very powerful.

7/31/2008 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home