.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Burning Up in Florida

It's been one helluva several days here in Florida...fires seem to be everywhere. I'm having flashbacks to the drought and fires of 1998. Here in the Ocala area we've been breathing smoke for a long time.

Just got back from visiting my Mom in Georgia. I left on Saturday morning on I-75 and made good time...until I got past the last Lake City exit. It was smoky as hell during the drive, but then visibility went to nearly zero. We crawled for a few miles before I got off at I-10 heading toward Tallahassee. Smoky there too, folks. Cleared up a bit, but it was smoky and hazy through Tallahassee and north into Georgia. Found out that the I-75/I-10 area was shut down a few minutes after I got through it.

Came back Sunday night a different way. Still through Tallahassee, but used US 27. Made it home and it only took me an additional 30 minutes. Still smoke, but the roads were open. And there I drove thru rain for the first time in over a month. Saw some landscape that I haven't seen in 30 years. Maybe I'll go that way again. Lovely parts of Florida. You can forget that sometimes.

For those of you still breathing smoke today-hang in there.

For those of you considering moving to Florida-a word to the wise. It's not all beaches and cool breezes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home