.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Religion-My Experiences

I have an above post about Mormons. I guess I’ll get personal. Here’s the deal. I’m not religious. This will come as no shock for regular visitors.

I’m not an atheist, mind you, and I believe in God- a god - a higher being - etc. I’m just not sure what that being is. And I’m not sure that being is paying any attention to us, other than infrequent and passing glances.

But…I respect those who are believers. And I wish I was convinced about what my religious beliefs are or should be.

Oh, of course, I’ve made a lot of bigoted statements in my past about Christians-and most recently, Muslims-but I sincerely have respect for true believers who practice their religion and leave the rest of us the hell alone. And I’m pretty damned sorry for some of the worst comments I made when I was very negative about Christian religions, which lasted several years. I’m glad that part has passed.

My Dad was a Christian. He loved God, his church, his wife and his family, not necessarily in that order. He was a Baptist church deacon, a lay minister and Sunday school teacher. He studied the bible often. He lived his faith. He had friends of many religions and of none. When he died, many of those people attended his funeral. Many had common stories, which they shared at the service and at the graveside, of how Dad never forced his religion on anyone. He would invite some that he knew for some time to his church…once. If they declined, he was cool with that. There was one raving atheist at the funeral who loudly said that he knew only one Christian, and he was being buried now. I understood this guy very well, for even in my most sinful, hate filled years I knew Dad was a true Christian who even then loved me.

So, again, I respect true believers who truly live what they believe. And as long as killing infidels is not part of their religion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home