.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tom Tancredo-wrong about (south) Florida?

Well, this is fun.

"Look at what has happened to Miami. It has become a Third World country. You just pick it up and take it and move it someplace. You would never know you're in the United States of America. You would certainly say you're in a Third World country," Tancredo said.

Bush, who plans to move to Miami after vacating the governor's office, said in the letter, "Miami is a wonderful city filled with diversity and heritage that we choose to celebrate, not insult."

Late Tuesday night, Tancredo responded with a letter to the governor, defending his view.
"I certainly understand and appreciate your need and desire to try and create the illusion of Miami as a multiethnic "All American" city. Indeed sir, one of us is naive," the letter said.
Tancredo said a growing number of Miami residents don't speak English, one of the few things that holds Americans together.


I understand Gov. Bush's concerns, as well as other Miamians and South Floridians. Hell, I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and spent most of my life in South Florida and was in Miami a lot. And I think I'm a patriotic American.

In politics, Miami has long been run as if a banana republic. Most of the Cubans I knew when they came here in the 1960s, were fully intending to return. They did not think of themselves as Americans. Of course, much of this changed over the years and I believe those of my age gladly adopted this country and became Americans. But it wasn't just Cubans. We became so very 'cosmoplitan' and multi-cultural that pride in country and history became lost. There was a reason for the saying several years ago: "will the last American who leaves Dade County please take the flag and turn off the lights."

I left 20 years ago, but I still keep in touch with friends. And from what I hear, Tancredo is not completely right...but he has a point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home