.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Okay, One (Very) Small Local Florida Muslim Group is Against Terrorism

The Ocala Star-Banner (a NY Times paper, so you know where it comes from) has the above linked article (Area Muslims cling to faith, rebuke terror) on a small Ocala/Marion County Florida group of Muslims who are against terrorism because it's against Islam. A small group, and not a national organization, but Hell I'll extend a hearty acknowledgement of any Muslim group who comes out against terrorists. Of course, since they're in an area of the country that no one cares much about, I'm pretty sure they will be safe from retribution from their co-religionists who disagree with them.

The paper states:
The recent bombings have been points for Zafer and Lesa Sabawi, members of the Islamic Center of Ocala, to reinforce to their six children the teachings of Islam and that violence is not the way."We, like everyone else, are horrified," Zafer said. "Nothing can justify this."

and

Zafer's wife, Lesa, is angered that the violence is attributed to Islam."When we see negative things on television we reiterate the religion is of loving, of God and reassure them of this," she said. "But there is a certain amount of uncertainty with them and us as adults, too."

But then they start to whine.

Lesa said going into an unfamiliar sandwich shop dressed in traditional Muslim attire recently caused her to pause for a moment, wondering whether customers or the staff would fear her or treat her differently."There are certain areas where I feel uncomfortable or experience an unwelcome attitude, often not so much face to face, but it's there," she said. "My daughter and I went into a local restaurant for lunch a few weeks ago . . . a buffet where they clear the tables for you, and the staff ignored us. I did not feel like fighting that day to say anything about it, but had to explain to my daughter that some people will be that way."

Lady, get a grip. First of all, what is "traditional Muslim attire" anyway. The Saudis, Palestinians, Indonesians and Albanians are Muslims too, but they all dress differently. They dress based upon where they live. Gee, maybe because you live here, but dress like a foreigner, that's why people look at you a little longer. I promise you if I wore the "traditional garb" of my Cherokee ancestors that I would get looks that might make me uncomfortable. AND I've been to similar buffets, maybe even that one that caused you such mental anguish. I've been ignored many times, but that's because they have poor management and nitwits as service staff. When that happens, I don't take it personally. I either clear the table myself or tell the wait staff to do their job. If I get really pissed at the incompetence, then I get out of there.

But get a load of the following statement: "The Quran teaches love for everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims alike. It does not teach violence."

I'm sure they believe it because they seem like very good and religious people. But I respectfully disagree. I'm sure I read that their holy book teaches it is a Muslim's responsibility to kill Jews (for example) wherever you may find one. A tad too Old Testament for me. Maybe there has been a Muslim "reformation" that I haven't heard about.