.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Gay Republicans and/or conservatives

There is a great blog call Gay Patriot, that was hosted by 2 patriotic gay men. They both had the remarkable ability (for anyone) to think for themselves, rather than be part of a pack or gang or group or community. One of them, the Gay Patriot, was forced out of blogging by a radical, supposedly "liberal" gay blogger for reasons not entirely clear. However, it's obvious that it was mostly because the Gay Patriot was a singular person with his own opinions. I hope he returns. However there is the equally perceptive and independent Gay Patriot West (Dan) who is continuing the blog. I wish him well. Several days ago (3/27) I sent him this comment:

"I wish you well, Dan, and hope you do continue blogging. I'm a straight patriot who has really enjoyed your blogging. I've always felt there are many people relegated to groups that are not always in step with their "leaders". These people need someone to speak for them. You and Gay Patriot did just that."

I also commented on another blog, Another Gay Republican (http://anothergayrepublican.blogspot.com):

"I found your blog through Gay Patriot. Quite frankly I was astonished at the number of gay Republicans and/or conservatives out here in the blogosphere. Maybe it's because I'm straight, or maybe I've just accepted that most gay people are like Andrew Sullivan...you can enjoy their writing and appreciate their positions, even when you don't hold them yourself, but you can feel you can't rely on them to be supporters of Republicans except on one or two very narrow issues. I was wrong and I'm chastened. But also glad to see a blogger like you still out there even though darts are being thrown at you and others who think independently like you. I intend to check back. Thanks for being there."

There are other gay people who do consider themselves to be both gay and Republican or gay and conservative and they have their own blogs. I've found this very refreshing. They do not necessarily hold the same opinions or agree with my thoughts and opinions, but then I don't always agree with other straight conservatives or Republicans. I do respect their thought processes and the courage it takes to hold opinions not usually expected of gay Americans. This is a great country because there is a diversity of thought. May it continue.

2 Comments:

Blogger AGR said...

Thanks for the comment and the link.

4/11/2005 8:40 AM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

You're welcome, AGR. I still check in with every now and then. We part company on a couple of issues, but I respect your positions even then.

4/22/2005 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home