.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Upon Further Reflection....

I had a visitor who left a comment on my 3/23 posting about Terri Schiavo. I admit to being surprised...this person was the first to make a comment and as far as I know may have been the first person (or only) to visit my blog. These were mostly intended to thoughts written only for myself. I mean, there are thousands of personal blogs in the ether that I felt sure mine would be a virtual diary. The comment was a question on how do I know Michael Schiavo is, as I said a couple of times, a "piece of crap"? I was going to be flip in my reply, but it is a fair question that I think I should address. I also appreciated that another person showed enough of an interest to comment.

The commenter raised a very good question and one I probably should support since I may want to again call Michael Schiavo a "piece of crap" now and in the future.

How do I know he is one? Maybe because it takes one to know one. Well, yeah, maybe it's partly because I've been a piece of crap myself (or something quite close), much too often, in some past actions and/or thoughts. I've made all kinds of excuses for being one, but after enough years I began to accept that I wasn't always a good person. After watching Michael Schiavo's performance on CNN with Larry King, I had to admit...he's a much bigger piece of crap than I've been or thought of being (yet...but I suppose there's still time). Just wanted to give Michael his props. And surely you've been around enough and have known enough people to have your own opinions and make your own value judgments. And if you have not, you will.

Value judgments are necessary. That way you don't fall for ridiculous assertions like: some drug cartel hit men killed OJ's wife; Scott Peterson didn't slaughter his wife and unborn son, he was just a victim of circumstances; Michael Jackson sleeps with little boys, but only for the most innocent of reasons; the Menendez brothers were the victims of dear old dad's physical and emotional abuse, that's why they had to brutally kill mom, as well as pop.

For our own protection, we have to make discriminating decisions and opinions and judgments based upon our experiences. The person who doesn't do this is an easy mark. And the person who says he/she waits until all the facts are in before making a judgment or having an opinion is a liar. Yes, that too is a judgment and such a statement is made based on a lifetime of personal experiences and observing my fellow man, as well as reading-from Greek philosophy to comic books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home