.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

However, I'm not a single issue voter

The Ocala Star Banner is running a St. Pete Times article on the difference between Crist and Gallagher on abortion.

Gallagher is straight forward pro-life. Crist is a little more nuanced. Nuanced, hell, he's calling himself pro-life, but not against abortion. Get a load of this:

Crist's opponent, Tom Gallagher, is running a TV ad that labels Crist "pro-choice" as part of a broader strategy to raise doubts among Republicans about whether Crist is the conservative he claims to be.
The Crist campaign calls the "pro-choice" label a lie.
But Crist described himself that way eight years ago, when he ran for the U.S. Senate.
In a 1998 questionnaire for the St. Petersburg Times, Crist wrote: "I am pro-choice, but not pro-abortion. I believe that a woman has the right to choose, but would prefer only after careful consideration and consultation with her family, her physician and her clergy; not her government."
Debating his Democratic opponent, then-Sen. Bob Graham, on statewide TV that fall, Crist was asked if he would support a constitutional amendment banning abortion.
"No, I would not," Crist said. "I think this is a very personal decision."
Today, as a candidate for governor in 2006, in a race against Gallagher, whose abortion views are more conservative than his own, Crist calls himself "pro-life."
"I'm pro-life. I don't know how else to say it. I'm pro-life, pro-family, pro-business, pro-Republican," Crist told reporters on the campaign trail last week at The Villages.

Here's the deal. Crist is tying himself into knots trying not to say that he's pro-choice, as that term is understood by most citizens. That position is okay with me, since I'm pro-choice. But this nuance reminds me too much of Bill Clinton's wordplay on the same issue.

I'm not a single issue voter (except for one). Even if I were, it would not be abortion. But Charlie, I know you're pro-choice. And I know it doesn't have to mean you're pro-abortion. I think this is a reasonable position And there's a strong probability I'll vote for you in the primary. But I wish you would be straight forward on this issue.

Note: I have been a single issue voter. This was the result of the 2000 election. I've since only voted for Republicans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home