.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

How long do we have to keep paying for New Orleans?!

Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., has been bought off for $100 million of TAXPAYER funds for her health care vote. So, okay, she's a Democrat politician/money whore so what else can you expect? (Right-like there was really any doubt which way she will come down on this.)

But dig this: "According to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the provision would cost the federal government $100 million. Landrieu, though, said she believed it would provide her state with $300 million and said even that amount would not be all the funds Louisiana needs."

Now, I have family and friends in Louisiana of whom I'm real fond. But goddamnit, how much more and for how much longer is the rest of the nation to pay for that state for one goddamned hurricane?!

I know a lot of Louisiana was damaged during Katrina, but that was frickin' years ago. And there's been a shitload of money already spent there. Most of the money has been pissed away in New Orleans even though most of the damage was result of political graft and greed in the decades previous to Katrina. Which is still ongoing...hell, it's New Orleans! That's what they do. And I'm sure the next "Katrina" will cause equal damage. And we'll have to pay for that again.

I went through New Orleans TWO YEARS after Katrina and much of the place still looked storm damaged even after pumping two years of blood money into that money pit. And it was the most unfriendly place I visited in that state. Upstate on the other hand was very nice. (My relatives who used to live in Bossier City were and are among the nicest on the planet.)

(Now, when I was much younger, I used to go to NOLA for the partying. The booze - and other substances - were quite nice. But I never found the people as a whole to be nice and friendly as advertised. It was a dangerous place to be if you weren't aware of your circumstances.)

But now Mary Landrieu thinks she getting $300 million MORE. I have to ask: "How long do we have to keep paying for New Orleans?"

And if I offended anyone not from NOLA, I apologize. But I'm tired of paying for a disaster that wasn't my fault and in fact was significantly caused by the very same people who are holding up the US Treasury right now for more money. [And that includes the little RINO congressman who sold out his "bi-partisan" vote in the House a couple of weeks ago. And he got shit for his vote. Cheap date.]

UPDATE:

For better and more coherent assessments and news on the health care vote and things Louisiana, you gotta check out And So It Goes In Shreveport. Also on Twitter.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

I agree with you on NOLA. No matter how much money you sink into a stinkhole, it still stinks. NOLA was, and I suppose always will be, one of the most dangerous places in the U.S. Yes, there's great music. Yes, there's amazing architecture. And yes, there's fantastic food. But I've been so many times and it never got better. Ever.

11/22/2009 9:50 AM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Thanks for the comments, Michele. I was ranting a bit yesterday, but Nawlins is a politically corrupted town on a par with Chicago, but not as well run. And I'm sick of non-NOLA citizens having to pay for it.

11/22/2009 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home